Preparedness. It’s been a key factor in businesses surviving, even thriving, during this pandemic. Companies have had to change and do so overnight. Business-as-usual methods would have failed. And for many, there is no going back. But this isn’t the first-time organizations have had to reinvent themselves. For example, many US businesses had to retool during WWII to emerge stronger and more resilient for the future. Consider retailers who were slow to build online channels. For many, the pandemic has been the end of their story.
Our client, Allen Brothers, had done the preparations and stood ready to meet the demands of the pandemic. As a result, they have experienced holiday season level sales for months during COVID-19 as customers ordered online instead of venturing to the store.
Founded in 1893 in Chicago’s famed Union Stockyards meat market, Allen Brothers still operates in the same neighborhood that shaped the American beef industry more than 120 years ago. For more than a century, the name Allen Brothers has been synonymous with the world’s finest beef. The company has an unmatched reputation for quality and integrity, and it has a steadfast commitment to customer service and innovation. Allen Brothers began as a wholesale business selling to steakhouses in the US and since 1993 it has been also selling its restaurant-grade steaks directly to consumers through its website and catalog.
Since launching in October of 2019 in just under 4 months, Oracle Commerce Cloud has provided additional needed functionality along with the Software as a Service model that was a great fit for their business.
Strategic objectives of the project were:
- Improved usability of the catalog structure
- Enhanced functionality and structure of content and site navigation
- Expanded the refinement menu in the catalog and the search results page
- Integrated gift cards into checkout
Allen Brothers partnered with VSG Commerce™ to design, develop and implement the Oracle Commerce Cloud solution for their online B2C business. The focus was on user experience, content management, and improvements in setting promotions.
Key Deliverables Included:
- Implemented a shipping calculator and calendar system enabling customers to select desired shipping method and arrival date, with the ability for business users to set blackout dates and custom rate tables
- Allowed for customized gift messages per shipping address
- Included split payments in checkout giving the customer the ability to apply both credit cards and gift cards to the same order
- Integrated with InfoPlus for order management
- Created a new product type with custom fields for physical and electronic gift cards
- Implemented social and email share capabilities with the Wishlist functionality
- Improved the structure of the cooking guides and included email share and product linking capabilities
- Established shipping and tax estimator for the shopping cart
- Integrated with
- Google Tag Manager/Analytics
- Google Merchant and Facebook Product Feeds
Allen Brothers has been excited about their move to the Cloud so they can better focus on their business. The building of their foundation for e-commerce and continuous updates to it has put them in position to thrive and grow during these volatile days and beyond. VSG Commerce looks forward to working alongside them as they continue to build their online business for the future on the Oracle Commerce Cloud platform.